Friday, June 29, 2007

5 Reasons I Hate Working in Corporate America

Working in a corporation is SUCKS!!!

There is no other way to put it. My top 5 reasons they suck...

1. We are an EOE

The way they measure diversity (be it race or gender) is take the total employees and find the percentage of minority and females among them. But ask them to show the stats by level (that is lower, middle and upper management) they come back with a coy answer.

2. HR

I understand they are a necessary evil. They justify their existence by creating process, rules/procedures and paperwork that are so complex that you are scared to get rid of them. They make up policies like Total Rewards (previously know as salary, but my pay still sucks and I do not consider it a reward), Knowledge Sharing, Talent Management. They only inflict pain and suffering and suck the fun out of working.

3. CEO/President/Senior Management

How is it that they makes millions of dollars and when asked to cut cost they fire the rank and file that make $40K a year.

4. Meetings

Meeting are the new happy hour. Since HR abolished happy hour, meeting around breakfast and lunch have increased. Seriously just buy me lunch and let me get back to work. It has become so bad there are now pre-meeting, post-meeting, wrap-up sessions, agenda meetings....desperation to interact....

5. PowerPoint

Edward Tufte, said it the best and I quote: "It's used to guide and reassure a presenter, rather than to enlighten the audience". This is a directly correlation to point 4, which is a direct correlation to point 3. I have seen presentations that have way too many words or pictures and then to annoy me, they make each word fly from different corners. After such presentation is want to just check myself in a psychiatric facility...

OK...I do a lot of presentation and I never use more that 2 colors in the slide and never use transition.

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

Couldn't agree more! Those damn transition features in slides make me seasick!