Friday, January 25, 2008

Have Fork Will Travel - White Wings

Background

I am a foodie, is simple words that I love to try out new/unique foods at the very least once. I have a philosophy that everything needs to tried once and if you like it go crazy and do it again. Food had always been a passion for me and having worked in the food industry developing products both in USA and Asia made the passion more embedded into my life.

Food: White Wings
Where: Temple, Texas
Innovative Rating: 4 stars
Repeat: Maybe



I have never heard of "white wings". So I jumped heart first when someone suggested we go and get some white wings. The disclaimer being leave your heart at the door.

The place we went to was Las Casas Restaurante and their tag line was "Famous White Wings" Originator!!

White Wings is basically a strip of chicken with a piece of jalapeno pepper in the center. The chicken is then wrapped with strips of bacon to form a ball (similar to the rubber band ball you may have done in the office during the long boring meeting but then I digress again). The ball is then pan fried with a generous amount of grease, again I have no idea about the quanity or quality of grease, that will ensure your heart get all the ingredients for a heart attack. In order to ensure that the heart attack is major (what is the point of doing anything minor, this is USA we do things big philosophy) the dish comes with a side of potato covered with sour cream/ or a generous helping of red/black beans and rice.

Overall I could only have half of the dish before I hear some sputtering sounds from the recess of my heart. But it was an experience that I am tempted to repeat

3 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

I didn't know you were in the food industry.

Ever try a deep fried Mars bar?

The Mountain Cat said...

Uber,
Someone gave me what I thought was a white wing at The Leopard Lounge on Saturday. Are they suppose to make you hallucinate?

ZenDenizen said...

Mountain Cat you were at Leopard Lounge???