Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I am romantic by nature. I love the idea of romance be it the courting, the maintaining and ultimately the obligatory "happily every after". Some may be call be naive, others might be shocked with this revelation. But I truely believe there is a special person for each one of us.

So why is it I hate Valentine's day. The reasons is simple: If you love someone s/he will know it everyday. You do not need a special day to send her flowers/candy etc. Oh yes and my pet peeve the unrelenting promotion to buy something on Valentine Day or as the omnious voiceover charectoer would say "Rot in HELL". Like buying a freaking toothpaste or a drill bit coveys my feeling of love.

And then you have strangers looking at you like you have committed a crime by not celebrating valentine's day. They treat criminals with more compassion.

So to all you gals out there give me one solid reason that Valentine's day is important? And yes I would have asked the guys for their opinion but then the only reason most of them "celebrate" valentine's day is that they are scared of retribution. I may be generalizing this statement but then most of my "guy" friends have told me that.

2 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

I agree it's a commerical Hallmark holiday but I think this is an incomplete statement:

If you love someone s/he will know it everyday.

They won't know unless you do something to let them know almost everyday (not gift wise, just verbally or some other kind gesture).

The Mountain Cat said...

Uber, Valentine's Day was created for those couples who DON'T tell each other everyday. They need a holiday as a reminder. Therefore, we all have to suffer because of these nitwits.
-The Mountain Cat