Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rock Paper and 10% discount

I drive to work. Not to far, around a good 30 to 45 minutes drive. Normally I plug in my iPOD and listen to my eclectic collection of music. But yesterday on my way back from work, I decided to tune into ESPN Radio and listen to non sportspeople rant and rave about "our" team not doing this or that, second guessing everyone and playing God. (Talk radio deserves a seperate blog)

Apparently on ESPN over the weekend they were showing the Rock, Paper, Scissors championship in Las Vegas. So Dodgeball was not a movie but a documentary - WOW !!!

So this got me to the time when I was living in Japan. I was sick and went to the doctor. She prescribed me some drugs and I proceeded to go the drug store. Note that at that time I spoke only around 50% Japanese (actually I think I plateaued at 50% in learning Japanese). So I had to take my translator everywhere with me. OK...back to the story.

Went to the drug store and after enduring the customary Japanese load greeting (they yell "Welcome" anytime you walk into a store), they filled out my prescription.

At the checkout after paying, the cashier proceeded to ask me (this is what was translated to me)"Do you want to play a game and win a prize?". I did not want to spoil the enthusiasm and agreed to play the game. She then proceed to extend her arm, close her fingers and tell me "We are going to play rock, paper and scissors and if you beat me you win a prize". I was shell shocked...I have over the years seen some crazy promotions in stores but nothing like this.

And yes I won 2 out of 3 and they gave me a 10% discount card to the store if I shop there the next time. This got me thinking if they where they hoping I fall sick?.

PS: Never went to store again.

1 comment:

ZenDenizen said...

Another great story! You must post about your experiences pursuing love on airplanes... Wow that sounds a lot racier than it was intended to.